Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Fountas and Pinnell Reading Level

As a first year teacher I am learning so much about the world of education.  I never had any experience with F & P until after I started my job this year.  I was very confused at first but it is definitely a teacher friendly system.  Each grade level has a serious of reading levels they need to be at based on a letter system.  My students should go from P to S by the end of the year.  This system really helps me determine the text that I select for my students and helps differentiate the reading!  Right now in my class we are doing an author study about Roald Dahl.

Whole Class Read - James & the Giant Peach (Q)

High Group - Matlida (S)

Middle Group - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (R)

Low Group - Fantastic Mr. Fox (P)


So far it is going well!  The text is perfect for the different groups in my class!  I paired these texts with learning about figurative language.  My students are having a fun time identifying them in their novels!

No comments:

Post a Comment